Sunday, March 21, 2010

CO Alarms on my Mind

This has been an amazing weekend... Saturday was our annual Department Fire Banquet and an interesting thing happened... I stood up to give my Captains award to one of our eldest members and hardest working and I was taken aback by our whole company being called up by the Chief of the Department. Then when I got up there to grab the mic the Chief handed it to my Lieutenant (in my mind I was saying OK, I'm going to be presenting the award to him and our company minus this person knew already this was coming.) And out of no where my Lieutenant tells me that I am the recipient of the Captains Award! I was completely shocked and humbled at the same time. I don't think that a Captains award has been given to it's own Captain without them knowing it, one for the record books I guess.

Sunday was another eventful day, the Hubby and I woke up extremely early for a Sunday and headed to the squad so I could put up a new fence for them. My husband was an amazing helper as well as the inmates who came in to help "weekend wonders". They busted their asses today and it was much appreciated. Fence looks gorgeous and I'm still waiting for the critics to roll in. (there are always a few)

And now to what I like to say is a GREAT feeling, literally about an hour ago we were dispatched for a CO alarm activation just down the street from our firehouse. I arrived to the building first, opened the bays and began gearing up. My father (the new Deputy Chief of our Company / Department- very long story) as well as my Grandfather. We get on the truck and respond... of course only being just down the street we were first on scene, packed up and proceeded to the house to receive our orders. My great feeling comes when my father and I enter the building together; I can honestly tell you that in my 12 + years experience the last time we entered a building together was when I was in fire school!
Of course we opened the basement windows, turned off the heater, opened the rear door and put a fan in the front door to try and evacuate the remaining CO so that the homeowners could go back to bed. Simple call but a really good one to say the very least.

All in all it was a wonderful weekend.
I'm going to be doing some research on some past fires and get some elder members recollection of those days, I can't wait to post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment