Sunday, March 28, 2010

Unique is a style in firefighting!

I've been thinking about this a lot today... what makes you unique in the fire service? Everyone has an idiosyncrasy, or if your like me you have a few. I know this may sound weird but I carry a pair of socks in my turnout gear; and now I probably have you laughing or thinking that I'm a strange character but believe it or not they can be used for more than just on your feet. However, I can assure you that there sole reason is for my feet, but I've adopted some other uses in the fire service that prove to be handy...



1.) I've used them as a rag before... I can actually say that I've gone through a lot of socks in my turn out gear but they're not expensive, if you buy in bulk that is; and they are great after a fire to use as a rag and wipe your brow (if no rags are available).

2.) I've used this one as well: A place to store my Lieutenants Glasses while he was in a building for safe keeping. Best if the socks are clean! (I've actually lost his glasses once on a fire scene and someone accidentally cracked them, I felt really bad so I adapted and overcame by coming up with a way to protect them while in my pocket and making sure I didn't loose them ever again).

3.) If something falls apart (small pieces of equipment) you can use the sock to store the pieces in so nothing gets lost. (I've used this before for screws that worked there way out of some equipment on a fire scene, I knew if I put them on the tail board they would be a goner for sure, so I put them in my handy dandy pair of socks and they were safe until we returned back to station).

4.) A tourniquet (Band aid Pusher in me) Luckily I haven't had to use this one yet, and hopefully I never will.

5.) If someone cuts there hand and you need a quick dressing before EMS can tend to you. (again Band aid pusher coming out, LOL) And unfortunately I've used this technique on myself; it really helps prevent any debris from entering the wound.

I've used them for more than the above listed but I would be interested in hearing from you and what you could use them for or if you want to share what makes you unique, comment me back and let me know.

P.S.: I don't keep the socks in the same pocket as my gloves either; we have to keep them clean in case they are needed in a medical situation.

1 comment:

  1. I use my socks to keep my feet warm. Or dry. Or clean. Or if I have festive socks I wear them for decoration.....:-) Your post made me laugh, nothing I would have thought of!

    ReplyDelete